Sikkim Nursing Council is an autonomous regulatory body established in 2010 under the Sikkim Nurse, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 2008. The Act was passed and published in the Sikkim Gazette Notification No: 119/HC, HS & FW dated 14/2/2014.
- To register and renew registration of practicing Nurses, Midwives, and Female Health Workers/Auxiliary Nurse Midwives, Female Health Assistant in state nursing council
- To maintain Registration of Nurses, Midwives, and Female Health Workers/Auxiliary Nurse Midwives, Female Health Assistant.
- To ensure all nurses working in the state of Sikkim are registered in Sikkim Nursing Council
- To conduct examinations of BSc Nursing, General Nursing Midwifery and Health Worker/Auxiliary Nurse Midwifery courses.
- Licensing, supervision, Inspection, and recognition of Training Institutions of Nursing within the state.
- To organize and conduct Continuing Nursing Education programs for Clinical nurses, ANMs, faculties of college and School of nursing.
- Grievance handling and redressal related to refusal of recognition, affiliation and registration.
- To serve as an agency to develop nursing staffing norms, recruitment policy, pay & remuneration and any other nursing related policies.
- To check and control Nursing practice by untrained and non-licensed person in the state
To improve standards of nursing education and practice through the provision of quality education, training and practice of Nurses and Midwives.
To promote and maintain excellence in Nursing Education and Nursing Practice in line with global best practice and raise the profile of Nursing profession in the state of Sikkim.